Thursday, September 29, 2011

promotion

    Sarah has promoted me to head blogger.  I am not sure if it is a promotion, title to make me feel more needed, or merely a way for Sarah to simplify her life. 
   Since her last post, she has a full time off farm job. She also has PYO pumpkin patch set to open this weekend.  Matt is back in school and Tina is back in school.  Me...busier than ever on the farm.  Papa Weaver continues to grow. Our deliveries are becoming more and more demanding.  Thank heaven for "Lucy", our
gps unit.  She always gets me home.  I am currently driving about 600 miles per week making deliveries and moving pigs.  
   Pace on the farm is picking up.  Spring planted crops are nearing maturity.  We are checking machines getting ready for harvest.  Lots of baby pigs are being born.
    Bernie was a friend of mine who I met at a very young age.  He  worked for my father and later for me.  He was more than an employee.  He was a man was who became part of our family as I grew. I learned from him. I laughed with him.  I grew to respect him.
   During the later years of his life, diabetes had taken a toll.  His kidneys had stopped working and he had last both of his legs.  During a visit, I asked him how he was doing..  With so much of his life gone,  his response surprised me.  " I am having a good day.  My feet hit the floor this morning".   Meaning, he was alive. 

That's the right outlook.  If your feet "hit the floor", every day is a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment